Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Me thinks I'm dense

OK, so I just realized that I'm your typical guy. Some comments were made last night that went over my head and it's just now dawning on me what they were likely about.

Here's the back story. My friend Melissa recently broke up with her boyfriend...sorta. It's complicated. Anyways, during this break up...sorta. I've been hanging out with her, trying to be a good friend and what not. Last night, we went and saw the prestige (we were going to go karaoke, but that got nixed).


Melissa (early, before the movie and what not): If I wasn't so heartbroken over Paul right now, I could see myself dating you.


OK, I get this one. It's not to hard to see. She's going through a tough time and I'm there for her. Therefore, I get the "you're a nice guy, but there's no way it could work" talk. Not a problem. It's what came later that completely went over my head.


Melissa (after the movie, driving back): Paul and I met to early.

Melissa (few minutes later): Actually, it's very likely that I saw you at U of I, but just didn't notice you.


Am I reading to much into this? I doubt those are the exact words, but I remember being confused as to where the second comment came from? I hate romance. Melissa is an awesome girl, and I would LOVE to date her under different circumstances. If I were to try anything right now though, I would just be a substitute for Paul. *sigh* The biggest problem is, I really do like her. It's one of the hazards of being a friend to a member of the opposite sex (at least it has always been for me), especially when you are a confidant. Seriously, romance sucks...as does the lack there of.

Well, I should have been @ work 10 min ago and I'm still not dressed. Time for me to get out of here. God bless.

--Simon Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes girls say things in hopes that guys will read too much into them, but most guys never do... at least that is my experience with being a girl and all. And I understand the whole being there for the person and then the feelings being confused. I've been there for a few of my guy friends, but I refuse to be the rebound girl especially when the friendship means a lot to me.