Sunday, January 21, 2007

Brother Status

I have now reached brother status, the gay friend who happens to not be gay, the guy that can never have a chance romantically, but who still listens to all problems and gives advice and what not.

I seem to have this bad habit of being to good a friend to ever be anything more. I am not blaming this completely on the female sex. I know a lot of this is my fault as well. I didn't make any move...because I thought that it was to early. I still think that it is to early, but now any possible chance I had of anything romantic in the future is gone.

OK, that brings me to another thing. People need to learn to accept being single. Seriously, I know it's not easy, but when you NEED a significant other to fulfill yourself, that is not health. That is my opinion. If you feel that need, what you need is not a significant other, what you need is a good support group of friends. Is that easy to come by? No, it is not. At the same time, that group of friends will save you a lot of heartache and will help you get through the heartache you do experience. I hate to say this, but ofter friendships are stronger than romantic relationships. While you're in the relationship, you often ignore your friends. However, as soon as that ends, your friends are willing to except you back with open arms, sympathizing with you, offering comfort, even rejoicing with you when you find a NEW significant other, all with the full knowledge that they will be pushed to the side again...if you can't tell, I've been in this position before. That paragraph didn't really go where I was intending it to. I sorta got sidetracked with a rant. Anyways, my point is that friendships will outlast 90% of your romantic relationship and will give you the strength to handle being single. I do not think that jumping into another romantic relationship a week after your old one ended is healthy!

The thing that frustrates me even more is when people acknowledge this and still refuse to work on it. It does you no good to recognize that you have a problem if you do nothing to remedy it. Gah! OK, I think my ranting and rambling is sufficiently delinear. I'm outta here.

--Simon Peter

No comments: