Thursday, March 01, 2007

Chemistry?

This week, I have had 2 professors ask me if I'm sure that Chemistry is really the right field for me. Not only that, they were both Chemistry professors. Am I missing something here? My entire college career, I've been going on the assumption that I will be a Chemistry major. I transferred schools to be a Chemistry major. Everything I have done since I have been in college has been under the assumption that I will be a Chemistry major. Now, the second semester of my senior year of college, when I'm supposed to be graduating, I am asked this question. The really bad thing is, I'm not sure.

To be honest, chemistry in not where my heart is. My heart is in mathematics. I chose chemistry because I thought it was a good place for me to apply my math skills without having to take up a job as an accountant or something like that. Theoretically, I'm only a few weeks away from graduating. However, I have thoroughly screwed myself to the point to where I may not be able to graduate with the Chemistry degree if I wanted to! I already have the math degree, I'm not really worried about that. I don't know what I want anymore.

I was talking with one of my profs and she threw out the suggestion that perhaps I want to think about it. Perhaps I do just want to drop Chemistry and go with math. I don't have to do it if I don't want to. I feel like if I do that though, I'm giving up. I feel like I threw a lot of money down the drain just to give up right before the finish line. On the other hand, I look at my classes and realize that I could start working full time and actually having more time.

Theoretically, if I were to drop chemistry and drop all the courses I didn't need, I would have a total of 1 night class this semester. That would be all I had to go to. True, I would no longer be full time and I would have to worry about scholarships and all that shit, but if I started working full time, I'd have enough to cover the difference in a month or 2. It's not like I ever really got around to filling out scholarship stuff anyways. It's all in loans, and I don't have to be in school to maintain those.

Bottom line here, I don't know what's going on right now. I might end up dropping something that I have put years into, just because I screwed myself if the end. Whatever happens, life will go on. Anyways, I hope everyone else is having a good life. I'm getting out of here. God bless.

--Simon Peter

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Look at it this way, you can finish your chemistry degree and then you always have it. But at the same time it might actually benefit you to just take the one night class,lessen your stress load, I'm sure that would be a good thing for you at this point too. Whatever you do it has to feel right for you and I'm around if you want to unload some of this stuff, I was at the store earlier, but I'm home from here on out tonight.