Monday, March 27, 2006

I miss Spring Arbo

Well, it's getting close to the end of my junior year and my first year at the Unversity of Indianapolis and I realize that I still miss Spring Arbor. Not that Uindy isn't a good school. There are some good people here and it's nice to actually be close to a city. However, socially and spiritually, they can't even begin to compare. Along with missing the social life in general, I miss the specific people as well. I got to talk to Crystal online for a while last night and started to feel really nastalgic.

I also miss Ormston. Not even so much living in Ormston, but just knowing that there exists a place like Ormston. The dorm were punk rockers, geeks and nerds all came together in one crazy place. Playing assassin, Porchfest and just the general craziness of it. I don't think that there's any place like that here. There's just no campus life it seems. Technically, I think that there's more campus wide events that go on here. I just don't feel connected to them at all. Perhaps it's just me, but there doesn't seem to be much community here. I miss Spring Arbor with it's community and I miss Ormston with its insanity.

I also miss the spiritual life. I know that it's not the job of the school to make sure that my spiritual life is doing well, and I know that you can begin to become stagnant and fall away at Spring Arbor as well. However, it is much easier to get yourself up to go to church in the morning when 90% of the rest of the campus does as well. It's a lot easier to know what church to bother going to when there are 30 other kids from school that go to the same church. Here, I feel like I don't have any clue what church to go to and since I don't know what church I want to go to or where I would fit in, it's near impossible to get myself up on a Sunday morning in order to go to a church.

Perhaps most of all is that I miss the specific people: Crystal, Josh (even though he's not going there anymore), Janet, Rachel, my B2 brethen, my O4 ontorage, yes, I even miss Karen. I miss playing poker with Eric and Wooster. I miss playing Halo 2 with Kevin and Nate and all those guys (there is no way you just make that shot!). I miss ultimate frisbee and late night runs to Steak and Shake. I miss all the friends that I got to know and love at Spring Arbor, and I never want to stop missing them.

I feel a bit better now. I'm going to get back to school here at Indianapolis and have a good time. Hopefully, I will get to the point where I really do feel comfortable down here. We shall see. I'll post again in hopefully the not to distant future. God bless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I did a search for "Ormston dorm" on Google and your blog was like the 5th or 6th link down, so I read it. I like Ormston so much I'm living there for a 5th year, crazy stuff.